Obtaining your TXDOT number for your Texas Truck or Commercial Vehicle 3
Posted on 12, September 2011
NEED INSURANCE AND COMPLIANCE HELP?
CALL 888-550-6269 AND WE'LL HELP YOU GET ROLLING TODAY!
STEP 1: OBTAIN YOUR USDOT NUMBER
Effective 9/1/2009, in order to obtain a TXDOT number, intrastate motor carriers must have a USDOT number prior to obtaining authority to do business in Texas. (Original Notice)
The following commercial vehicles are required to obtain a USDOT number:
- New applicants that require a TXDOT certificate number.
- Existing motor carriers that are renewing their TXDOT certificate number.
- Motor carriers re-registering a revoked TXDOT certificate number.
In order to obtain USDOT number, visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s website at: www.fmcsa.dot.gov/online-registration.
For a step by step registration assistance, start by choosing the links located in the section titled, “Help Me Register.” The following link will take you directly to the FMCSA Step-by-Step Registration Guide.
The step-by-step registration guide will assist you in the completion of the MCS-150 application. There is no fee to apply for your new USDOT number, but you are required to have a Visa or MasterCard for your required digital signature. For questions regarding your online registration, call 1-800-832-5660.
STEP 2: OBTAIN YOUR TXDOT CERTIFICATE NUMBER
Now that you’ve obtained your USDOT number, you will need to register your vehicle online and complete your INTRASTATE operating authority application. In order to register as a motor carrier (Texas truck owner-operator), you will need to follow the following steps:
- Apply online and call 1-888-368-4689, 3, 1 to get access to the online registration system. If you wish to complete your application by fax or mail, you will need to complete form 1899
- If you prefer to complete and fax form 1899 instead of registering online, you will need to fax the completed form to 512-465-3521. Be sure to included your credit card information and liability insurance information
- For mailed applications, mail your application to TxDMV – Attn. MCD-BC, PO Box 12984, Austin, TX 78711-2984
TxDMV requires different fees to register or renew your commercial vehicle. Generally, in order to file with the state of Texas for the first time, you will required to pay the following fees:
- $100 Annual application fee
- $10 fee per vehicle
- $100 fee for Insurance Filling (Form E)
For additional questions regarding registering your commercial vehicle in Texas, visit the Texas Department of Motorvehicles – commercial vehicle registration FAQs.