Obtaining your TXDOT number for your Texas Truck or Commercial Vehicle

Tags: Business Insurance, Truck Insurance
featured image




Effective 9/1/2009, in order to obtain a TXDOT number, intrastate motor carriers must  have a USDOT number prior to obtaining authority to do business in Texas.  (Original Notice)

The following commercial vehicles are required to obtain a USDOT number:

  • New applicants that require a TXDOT certificate number.
  • Existing motor carriers that are renewing their TXDOT certificate number.
  • Motor carriers re-registering a revoked TXDOT certificate number.

In order to obtain USDOT number, visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s website at:

For a step by step registration assistance, start by choosing the links located in the section titled, “Help Me Register.”  The following link will take you directly to the FMCSA Step-by-Step Registration Guide.

The step-by-step registration guide will assist you in the completion of the MCS-150 application.  There is no fee to apply for your new USDOT number, but you are required to have a Visa or MasterCard for your required digital signature.  For questions regarding your online registration, call 1-800-832-5660.


Now that you’ve obtained your USDOT number, you will need to register your vehicle online and complete your INTRASTATE operating authority application.  In order to register as a motor carrier (Texas truck owner-operator), you will need to follow the following steps:

  • Apply online and call 1-888-368-4689, 3, 1 to get access to the online registration system.  If you wish to complete your application by fax or mail, you will need to complete form 1899
  • If you prefer to complete and fax form 1899 instead of registering online, you will need to fax the completed form to 512-465-3521.  Be sure to included your credit card information and liability insurance information
  • For mailed applications, mail your application to TxDMV – Attn. MCD-BC, PO Box 12984, Austin, TX 78711-2984

TxDMV requires different fees to register or renew your commercial vehicle.  Generally, in order to file with the state of Texas for the first time, you will required to pay the following fees:

  1. $100 Annual application fee
  2. $10 fee per vehicle
  3. $100 fee for Insurance Filling (Form E)

For additional questions regarding registering your commercial vehicle in Texas, visit the Texas Department of Motorvehicles – commercial vehicle registration FAQs.

For commercial auto insurance or texas truck insurance quotes, contact TXINSURANCEPRO.COM at 800-550-6269 or fill out the contact form here.


About David Berry

David Berry is a Texas Independent Insurance Agent that specializes in finding ways to save his clients money on their auto, home, life, and business insurance. His extensive experience stems from over 15 years in the insurance, finance, and real estate industries. David has held management, sales, and marketing positions with companies including Hilton Reservations, GEICO, Liberty Mutual, and Allstate. To schedule a free insurance consultation, call TXINSURANCEPRO.COM at 214-717-4326.

Related Posts

  • Steven Stubblefield

    So I am staying in texas only and staying under 26001 hauling 1 car at a time. Do I need a tx dot number?

  • Ana Laura Estrada

    What will happen if you do not get a TXDOT number, but you do have a USDOT number?

  • brandon

    I am wanting to start a hotshot company amd am having trouble getting a cirtificate number a little lost

  • cindy

    I have a USDot number and tdlr number but what I am trying to find out if I have to have the TDlr number if I get a TXDot number I haul cars just in Texas only. I know if you haul inops you are required to have the tdlr but the cars I haul all run so can I just get the TXDot number and haul motorcycles, cars, pickups, vans and maybe boats

    • Cindy,

      Since you’re in Texas, you could be required to register with all three agencies. Here’s my reasoning.
      1. Everyone has to have a USDOT number with a commercial vehicle. Whether or not they ever cross state lines is a different story.
      2. In Texas if your vehicles gross combined or registered weigh exceeds 26,000 pounds, you’ll be required register with the state. Here’s a link to the state’s registration site if you need it.
      3. It sounds like you’re performing as a car hauler or tow operator regardless of whether the cars are running or not.

      As far as whether you need tow truck insurance or simple commercial auto insurance here in Texas, I’m your guy. Feel free to give me a call at 214-717-4326.

      Good Luck!